Thursday, April 8, 2010

Limitations


Kitchen Table Talk today finds me with a friend and we are talking about our limitations. We both share that as we have gotten older we can recognize our limits better and agree that this a 'good thing.'
Limitations for most of us are something we'd rather not think about, instead would prefer to just focus on what we can do well. However, this conversation developed in depth and allowed us to see how helpful it is to truly not only know but accept our limitations.
It is a sign of well being to know our limits. It has the potential to protect us from ourselves. I do need to know my financial limits or, my monthly credit card bill could be more than I could afford to pay. If I do this monthly then it isn't long before I have credit card debt. This is a simple example and one most of us probably have experienced, or certainly can understand.
Another awareness my friend and I had was the limits that we must put on our eating habits in terms of "hey, I cannot have dessert every day like I did when I was younger." I know that is the truth however, I'd much prefer dessert with dinner; the price is weight gain. I must know and accept my limits or I am going to be in trouble with my weight and, overtime with my health.
A healthy life is about balance and not knowing our limits will impact that balance. It is important to balance out our daily living to where there is time to have a life. Work has a role, however, does your work occupy your life in such a way that the daily balance is disturbed? Life needs daily self-care, time to do 'life repair' (the 'to do lists'), play time, hobby time, family life, and time for solitude.
A more difficult example might be to know our limits in what is ours' to change and what isn't ours'. It is difficult when we are in relationships and see our family and/or our friends in trouble and we want to help them. However, there are limits with what we can do and truly what is not any of our business. Healthy relationships also require individuals to know their limits.
Perhaps a journaling exercise as you sit at your Kitchen Table and do your Kitchen Table Talk might be to think about where you are with limits. How would you like to bring more balance into your daily round? Where haven't you accepted your limitations? These questions are for you to honor who you are today and thus have that quality life of simplicity, peace, and joy.

No comments: