Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Zen of Knitting

I learned to knit in 4-H as a young girl and I have knitted periodically throughout my life. However, I have never passed what I consider the beginner stage of knitting. I can cast on, knit, purl, increase, decrease, and bind off. I have knitted afghans, scarfs, shawls, and just recently a hat. I have only in the last year started knitting on circular needles.

I stand in awe whenever I see a knitter who can create pieces of art such as sweater. When I can knit a sweater I am going to feel like, "I have arrived!" Someday I hope to really settle in and become a 'serious' knitter.' I am going to take a beginner class and move all the way through the classes until I can make a sweater.

Most knitters will tell you that they love yarn, they love the colors, the textures, the feel and the smell of yarn. Many knitters sit in knitting circles at yarn shops and become connected through their projects and the stories that are shared as they sit in circle. I have done this a few times and it is quite nice and it is a learning experience as well. I am still amazed that one can talk and knit difficult projects, which is something I observed in the knitting circles.

In the meantime, I enjoy the Zen of Knitting and what that means is that I can breathe, reflect, feel creative, and bring some balance to my daily life. It is the feel of the yarn, the counting which brings a rhythm, the sitting still, and the envisioning the outcome. There is a form of prayer and meditation that comes with knitting. I can chant prayers while I knit. And, if I do not want to just sit and be with me I can listen to music, a movie, or, a book on tape. It is time I claim for me. It is an oasis to sit and knit and, usually my dog is by my side. I believe it is all of these benefits that for me creates the Zen of Knitting.

No comments: